Descendants of Willoughby Barton
Fri, 24 Apr 1998
From: Byron Hill GBH333@aol.com
1. Willoughby Barton; born at Richmond Co., GA; married Anne (--?--); died 1807 at Richmond Co., GA.
He was awarded for his military service by participating in the land lottery and in 1786 drew land on Spirit Creek, Richmond Co. GA for his part in the Revolutionary War. He was referred to as 'Captain'. Closely allied with General John Twiggs, to whom he and Ann sold 500 acres of land. He was also close with or possibly related to the Dyass and Grubbs families. He and John Twiggs argued over who would be guardian of Jeremiah Dyass. Finally all land and slaves of Dyass were given to Willoughby Barton. These slaves and those of Thomas Grubbs were mentioned in Willoughby's estate.
Children of Willoughby Barton and Anne (--?--) were as follows:
2 i. James Barton, married Patience W. (--?--).
3 ii. Willoughby Barton Jr; married Nancy Ramsey.
4 iii. Nancy Barton; married Phillip Nowland.
2. James Barton (Willoughby1); married Patience W. (--?--); bd. after Nov 1, 1808 at Magnolia Cem., Augusta, GA.
Children of James Barton and Patience W. (--?--) were:
5 i. Dr. James Twiggs Barton, born Nov 1, 1808 at Richmond Co., GA; married Jane B. Thomas.
5. Dr. James Twiggs Barton (James2, Willoughby1); born Nov 1, 1808 at
Richmond Co., GA; married Jane B. Thomas Feb 19, 1829; died Dec 18, 1884 at Richmond Co., GA, at age 76.
Children of Dr. James Twiggs Barton and Jane B. Thomas were as follows:
6 i. Dr. Robert Thomas Barton, born Dec 4, 1832 at Richmond Co., GA; married Almira L. Schriver; married Sarah A. Tabb; married Mary Savannah Rivers.
7 ii. James W. Barton; married (?) Ramsey; born Sep 22, 1830; died Jan 16, 1909 at age 78.
8 iii. Savannah A. Barton; born Nov 15, 1834; died Oct 6, 1842 at age 7.
9 iv. Floyd T. Barton; born Oct 4, 1837.
10 v. Willoughby H. Barton; born Feb 1, 1840; died Oct 3, 1889 at age 49.
11 vi. Savannah A. Barton; born Jul 28, 1842; died Jan 31, 1861 at age 18.
12 vii. Elizabeth I. Barton; born Sep 8, 1844; died Feb 9, 1849 at age 4.
13 viii. Mary L. Barton; born Mar 31, 1848.
14 ix. Alether F. Barton; born Dec 14, 1851.
6. Dr. Robert Thomas Barton (James3, James2, Willoughby1); born Dec 4,
1832 at Richmond Co., GA; married Almira L. Schriver Aug 13, 1857 at Richmond
Co., GA; married Sarah A. Tabb May 3, 1860; married Mary Savannah Rivers,
daughter of John Floyd Rivers and Feroby Howard, Sep 5, 1867; died Dec 8, 1909
at Jefferson Co., GA, at age 77; buried after Dec 8, 1909 at Wrens City
Cemetery, Wrens, GA.
Children of Dr. Robert Thomas Barton and Almira L. Schriver were:
15 i. Robert Almira Barton; born Oct 15, 1858.
There were no known children of Dr. Robert Thomas Barton and Sarah A. Tabb.
Children of Dr. Robert Thomas Barton and Mary Savannah Rivers were as follows:
16 i. Dr. John James Barton, born Jan 28, 1870 at Dublin, GA; married Theodosia Ernestine McCray.
17 ii. George R. Barton; born Mar 18, 1872; married Eunice C. Crouch Mar 17, 1893.
18 iii. Jane Burma Barton, born Jul 13, 1874; married James W. Stapleton.
19 iv. Lena Ophelia Barton; married Durant S. Landrum; born Aug 19, 1876.
20 v. Atticus Haygood Barton, married Louise Scott; born Jan 8, 1879.
21 vi. Annah Mae Barton, born May 6, 1881 at Jefferson Co., GA; married Charles Wynn Stephens.
22 vii. Lynette Bell Barton; born Jan 21, 1884; married George Williams Oct 21, 1903.
23 viii. Sally Lou Barton; born Jun 30, 1888; married James Andrew McCray, son of Jasper McCray and Elizabeth Chloanna Harrison, Feb 17, 1907.
16. Dr. John James Barton (Robert4, James3, James2, Willoughby1); born Jan 28, 1870 at Dublin, GA; married Theodosia Ernestine McCray, daughter of Jasper McCray and Elizabeth Chloanna Harrison, Dec 1, 1896. He was a medical doctor. Family tradition says that John "Doctor Barton" was always dressed very formal, and always wore a tie. Other stories handed down by Clara Starr Barton say that he invented a pecan cracking machine for the pecan tree that was in his backyard, and he was an early believer in baby food, long before it was popular. He advised mothers to grind up peas and meat to feed to their baby's, rather than feed them so much milk.
Children of Dr. John James Barton and Theodosia Ernestine McCray both born at Dublin, GA, were as follows:
24 i. John Willard Barton, born Sep 16, 1897; married Clara Margretha Starr.
25 ii. Mary Elizabeth Barton, born Dec 3, 1901; married Darnell Wrenhick Marshall.
18. Jane Burma Barton (Robert4, James3, James2, Willoughby1); born Jul 13, 1874; married James W. Stapleton Nov 1, 1891.
Children of Jane Burma Barton and James W. Stapleton were as follows:
26 i. Theodore Stapleton; born Jan 15, 1892.
27 ii. Nellie Pauline Stapleton; born circa May 27, 1895.
28 iii. James Hubert Stapleton; born Feb 19, 1897.
20. Atticus Haygood Barton (Robert4, James3, James2, Willoughby1); married Louise Scott at Wrens, GA; born Jan 8, 1879. He was Dentist.
Children of Atticus Haygood Barton and Louise Scott were as follows:
29 i. Mary Scott6 Barton, married John Thomas Higginbothem.
30 ii. Atticus Haygood Barton Jr; died.
31 iii. James Barton, married Mabel (--?--).
32 iv. Emory Barton.
33 v. Monroe Barton; died circa 1990.
21. Annah Mae Barton (Robert4, James3, James2, Willoughby1); born May 6, 1881 at Jefferson Co., GA; married Charles Wynn Stephens, son of Shadrack Alexander Hamilton Stephens and Julia Ann Jane Peebles, Sep 9, 1906 at Jefferson Co., GA; died Aug 8, 1934 at Richmond Co., GA, at age 53; buried Aug 10, 1934 at Wrens City Cemetery, Wrens, GA.
Children of Annah Mae Barton and Charles Wynn Stephens were as follows:
34 i. Robert Erwin Stephens; born Nov 23, 1907; died Apr 26, 1908.
35 ii. Ralph Haygood Stephens
36 iii. Mary Elizabeth Stephens
37 iv. John Barton Stephens
38 v. Charles Wynn Stephens, Jr.
39 vi. Robert Clarence Stephens
40 vii. Norma Mae Stephens
Site Directory, Home, and Email